Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 80

Thread: Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.

    I came across this 5-part series of articles and thought they may be of interest to members of this forum.

    Loudspeakers: Effects of amplifiers and cables - Part 1 | Audio DesignLine

    The last page of each part has a link to the next part.

    The parent site is well worth a look.

    Marshall.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.


  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.

    I read the review of the power cable from the above link. I wonder though how much effect does the power cable have on the sound coming from the speakers? The same goes for speaker wire.

    I see where people use everything from silver speaker wire to regular zip cord to solid wire from Ma Bell. Now I know length can have an effect, but how much? If the power cable is that important, why don't the manufactures of the amps and other devices say so?

    If there is a link somewhere that explains all this I would like to see it. In the mean time, could some of the experienced members on the forum make a comment or two? I mean, who is going to pay $1200 for a power cable?
    Thanks,
    MM

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marvin View Post
    I read the review of the power cable from the above link. I wonder though how much effect does the power cable have on the sound coming from the speakers? The same goes for speaker wire.

    I see where people use everything from silver speaker wire to regular zip cord to solid wire from Ma Bell. Now I know length can have an effect, but how much? If the power cable is that important, why don't the manufactures of the amps and other devices say so?

    If there is a link somewhere that explains all this I would like to see it. In the mean time, could some of the experienced members on the forum make a comment or two? I mean, who is going to pay $1200 for a power cable?
    Thanks,
    MM

    Note that magazines who give favorable reviews to expensive power cords feature big ads for the same...assuming they were not paid for the article.

    90% of everything is bullshit, except for power cord reviews, where 99 percent is bullshit.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.

    Thanks,
    That's what I thought...

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.

    However......
    A lot of power cords are made like crap. You guys may not own any, but I do! Mostly just poor contstruction and bad mechanics that lead to bad contacts.
    If you want to spend a couple of bucks on a power cord, it's hard to do better than the Volex stuff. Well built and sheilded to boot. For those of us who have power cords running up the back of the rack along side the signal cables, well.....

    A good, low impedance ground for your audio circuit can be a big improvement. I installed a dedicated grounding rod not 6' from my audio power. Made a big improvement in everything. An isolation transformer can be a big help, too.

    Not big money, just good sense.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.

    Hey Panomaniac,

    How much are you talking about for an iso xfmr?


    I have an issue where I live near a few RF Radio towers, and I remember a few years ago in my listening room, there was bleed in form one of the 2 signals that were coming in through my speakers, but faintly. This problem was worsened when I hooked up a powered sub I was using at the time....

    Any idea on how to negate this issue?

    Only equipment I have is a multimeter, paper pen, and my head...... So I can do very little line signal reading/troubleshooting.... I know my basics in Electronics, former navy aviation et here......so I am not afraid (but respect) electricity & getting my hands dirty....


    Better shielded cable (s)?

    This is in a finished room above the garage aka around here as a frog.....

    On the ground bus... do you have to get permission form the local power company or get a permit pulled? What about have a master electrician come out and sign it off? ( probably depends on local codes , huh?)

    sorry to hi-jack the thread.


    Thanks,


    -chris

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.

    Quote Originally Posted by oface1 View Post

    Better shielded cable (s)?


    -chris
    Perhaps a tin foil hat?

    All kidding aside, might want to google "Faraday cage"

    IF WAF isn't an issue lining the walls with chicken wire and grounding it helps...we had to do that for a studio we had...

    An isolation transformer only helps power line interference...

    There are a zillion ways to get interference....
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.

    The proof is in the pudding. Audio is a listening activity, not a science activity. If you can't hear a difference, it shouldn't matter what you use. If you do hear a difference, use the one you like better.

    Science is a long, long way from explaining everything there is to know about sound and our hearing, and within what science does allow there are plenty of reasons that different cables make things sound different. They don't always, it's not always clearly discernable, the expensive one is not always "better", etc., but it certainly can make an audible difference.

    Please don't go on about double-blind tests.

    Dave
    "When words fail, music speaks" - HC Anderson

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Loudspeakers: Effects Of Amplifiers And Cables.

    Come on Dave- I find the subject of $1000 power cords so offensive ...there is no "live and let live" on this...

    If someone wants to use a $1000 power cord, fine. I don't care. Just shaddup about it.

    Read the reviews..."No question, it’s one of the finest-looking product packages on the market. "

    "The Kaptovator was made using no inductive or capacitive devices and uses no shielding elements that Skubinski feels would limit the uninterrupted and speedy flow of power to its destination."


    Absolute garbage.

    I'm sure snake oil doctors had their defenders too. There were thousands of patent medicines, many of which did more harm than good.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.